Monday, October 29, 2012

in the kitchen: (my favorite) banana bread


For as long as I can remember my mom has been using Martha Stewart's recipe for banana bread and I have to stand by it as one of my all-time favorite versions. I think the secret is using the sour cream to make sure the final product isn't too dry. Of course, you can opt for a healthier version and try a recipe that uses apple sauce to accomplish the same thing...but hey, I like what I like!  My favorite way to enjoy banana bread is toasting a slice and having it with a little butter or peanut butter. If you want to keep heading down the "unhealthy" route, feel free to add in chocolate or carob chips to satisfy your chocolate craving. Whichever way you like it, you should definitely give this recipe a try!

Banana Bread from Martha Stewart
makes 1 loaf

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature, plus more for pan
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans


Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan; set aside. In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, and beat to incorporate.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the butter mixture, and mix until just combined. Add bananas, sour cream, and vanilla; mix to combine. Stir in nuts, and pour into prepared pan.
  3. Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes** Let rest in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool.
    **Cooking time varies-I typically check it at 45 minutes and then determine how much longer to cook it from there so it doesn't get over-cooked!
    Bon appetit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment