Well this is pretty much a guest post coming straight to you from my mom featuring the infamous boom boom baked beans! Consider this an upgrade to the standard baked beans in a can situation and pretty perfect for your 4th of July barbecue (I'll definitely be whipping this up to share with Ry's family!)
This dish has quickly become a family favorite and if you like REAL bacon in your baked beans, then this is sure to impress you (and your friends!).
Boom Boom Baked Beans
via my mom
-6 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped coarsely
-1 large yellow onion
-2 cans of B&M Original Baked Beans
-1 can red kidney
-1 can dark red kidney
-1 can butter beans
-1 can cannelini beans
1-2 Tbsp brown sugar*
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard (or mustard powder)*
1 Tbsp Ketchup*
*These are estimates, so feel free to play around with the taste as you to make it to your liking!
1. Cook bacon and set aside. Do not throw bacon fat away.
2. Chop onions and cook in bacon fat until they are transparent, set aside.
3. Using a strainer, drain all the beans except for the canned "original baked beans" (helpful to have a large bowl to keep all the beans in as you rinse them)
4. Place the beans in a large pot. Open the two "original baked beans" and add them to the pot with the sauce from the cans
5. Add in brown sugar, Dijon mustard/mustard powder and ketchup and mix all together. Once you have the desired flavor, add the onions and most of the bacon; mix ingredients.
6. Pour into a casserole dish or Pyrex dish. Put the remaining bacon on top.
7. Bake in 350 oven until really hot all the way through...approx. 30 minutes.
Serve with your favorite grilled meal (burgers, hot dogs, corn on the cob-the possibilities are endless!)