Wednesday, July 17, 2013

in the kitchen | kale and brussels sprouts salad

image by Christopher Testani

Brussels sprouts. Some people love them, others h-a-t-e these little baby cabbages. Personally, I am a huge fan-steamed, roasted, raw...I'm down for brussels sprouts of any variety.

On Sunday night, I joined my parents in the 'burbs for dinner and we were fortunate enough to have our good family friends in from Nashville also share the table with us. During our conversation, our friend mentioned how they had recently found a new recipe for brussels sprouts that is sure to please any one, so naturally I had to look into.

Lucky for me, this took all of two seconds, and I happen to have enough of the ingredients laying around to make my own twist on the dish. So if you are looking for something quick, easy, healthy, and pretty darn delicious, give this one a whirl!

Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad
adapted from Bon Appetit

1lb brussels sprouts, sliced very thin or grated
1 C kale, leaves thinly sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/3 C roasted almonds, chopped

Dressing
2-3 T Balsamic vinaigrette dressing (yes, I cheated)
1 T Dijon mustard
1-2 T olive oil
1 T lemon juice
1 small garlic clove, minced
Salt & pepper to taste

Directions
1. Mix balsamic vinaigrette dressing, mustard, lemon juice, and garlic in a small bowl and set aside. 

2. Toss shredded brussels sprouts, kale, and pepper in a large bowl. Add in crushed almonds. 

3. Toss salad with your somewhat-homemade dressing

4. Serve immediately paired with a lovely white wine and fresh bread :)

Bon appetit! 



No comments:

Post a Comment