Wednesday, April 17, 2013

in the kitchen: chopped caprese salad



On most days, I try to bring my own lunch to work so I am not constantly going out for food. This also lets me be more thoughtful as to what I am preparing (I don't really trust the cafeteria food at work...)

Typically, a salad is my go-to meal and with spring slowly creeping in, all the vegetables are looking extra fresh and delicious. And of course, what goes better with fresh vegetables, but some fresh mozzarella cheese?! Enter: the chopped caprese salad...a light and fresh, but definitely satisfying, salad to delight your taste buds!

Chopped Caprese Salad serves 1

Ingredients
1 small roma or vine tomato, chopped
1/4 c red onion, chopped
1/2 c bell pepper, chopped (I used orange!)
1/2 avocado, diced
1/4 c carrots, grated
4-5 small mozzarella balls, quartered
2-3 tbsp of balsamic dressing (store bought or homemade)
Cilantro, optional or basil for a traditional caprese
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Prepare all veggies and place into mixing bowl.

2. Toss with balsamic dressing, top with cilantro or basil. Season with salt and pepper

3. Enjoy! Pairing suggestion: toasted baguette or a cup of soup (if your office is as cold like mine!)

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment