I came across a recipe for spinach burgers the other day on Pinterest and decided to whip up some up for dinner the other night. I made a few changes from the original recipe based on what I had in my fridge, but I am pleased with how they turned out! You can serve these burgers pretty much anyway you'd like-in a pita, with a dipping sauce (I'd vote for plain greek yogurt with a bit of lemon juice!) or on your favorite toasted bread.
Spinach Burgers adapted from villagecook (makes approx. 4-6 medium patties)
1 large container, fresh spinach
1/3 C mushrooms, diced
1/2 C diced onion
1/2 C bread crumbs (I used whole wheat)
1 egg white
1/2 C feta cheese
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
- Heat olive or canola oil in pan. Sauté spinach, onions, and mushrooms in the pan until the spinach is wilted and mushroom and onions are soft. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix breadcrumbs, cheese, pepper, and salt together. Add in spinach mixture, and eggs-stir until well blended.
- Form mixture into balls (this is the messy part!), then press down to flatten into patty. Repeat until all the mixture is used.
- Heat oil in pan. Place 2-3 (depending on the size of your pan) patties on the pan, letting them cook for about 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve the burgers any way you please!