Saturday, January 5, 2013

in the kitchen: overnight french toast bake

While we were away for our New Year's celebration, I put myself in charge of making breakfast for the group on New Year's day. I wanted to be able to make something ahead of time and also had a craving for french toast, so when I spotted Frugal Upstate's Overnight French Toast Casserole, I knew it would be a winner! 


Because I was able to prepare everything the night before, I didn't have to stand in front of the stove the entire morning AND it was a huge hit (we even had a gluten-free version that was a success too!). I will definitely be adding it to my list of "go-to" breakfasts. 

Overnight French Toast Bake via Frugal Upstate

12-15 pcs of cinnamon swirl bread
1/2 C butter
1 C brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 eggs
1 1/2 C milk

Directions
-Whisk eggs, vanilla and milk together, set aside. 
-Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together
-Melt butter and pour into 9x13 pan
-Place first layer of bread into pan, then pour small amount of egg mixture over the first layer. Sprinkle about 1/2 of the sugar mixture over the bread. 
-Layer the second half of the bread, then pour the remaining amount of the egg mixture over the bread. Sprinkle the remaining brown sugar on top.
-Cover with tin foil and refrigerate overnight

In the morning...Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place pan into the oven, still covered and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes until the top is browned. Let cool for a few minutes before serving! 

picture from normal cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment