Tuesday, August 14, 2012

in the kitchen: mini peach crumbles

I don't know why, but something just came over me last night and I had to make peach crumble (or cobbler, whatever you prefer to call it!). Lucky for me, there just happen to be two peaches sitting at home, practically calling my name. My parents have these great ramekin dishes, so I decided that with just two peaches, I would make mini peach cobblers. I kind of had an idea as to everything I wanted to include, but I also found a recipe from Joy the Baker that served as much better resource for some more specific measurements.

I was really happy with how they turned out and they were the perfect serving size...great to keep in mind for entertaining or if you're just in the mood for a little something sweet to end the day (or start the day) with!

Mini-Peach Crumble, adapted from Joy the Baker
Makes four individual servings



2 ripe peaches
(about) 1/3 c flour
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
3-5 tablespoons old-fashioned oats
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon shredded coconut
2-3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
4 small, oven-safe bowls (I used small ramekins)

-Get your oven pre-heating to 350 degrees F! You'll want a rack placed in the center of the oven.
-Slice your peaches in half and take out the pit. (FYI-this was trickier than I thought it would be-I was worried I was going to squish my peaches as I took them off the pit, so just be careful with it!) Using a small spoon, you'll scoop out some of the center part to have more room for your topping. Save your trimmings!
-In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, oats, salt, cinnamon, and coconut until it is well blended (you can use a spoon or fork for this). Next, add the cubed butter and with your hands, work the butter into the dry ingredients. You want it to be well combined, but not that some of the butter might be in smaller pieces than others-that's totally fine!
-Take your peaches, place them cut side up into the dishes. Top each of the peaches with your crumble...load 'em up! Optional: Top each peach crumble with some of the peaches you have left from earlier.
-Time to get those crumbles in the oven! Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown...serve with ice cream or a small dollop of whipped cream. Honestly, they are pretty darn good just plain though!


Bon appetit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment