Tuesday, August 28, 2012

local spot: the foundation

A few weeks ago as I was preparing for my move to Milwaukee, I mentioned how I was excited to show off all the great things going on here in this town....and then I totally did not follow through! My bad. BUT I am hoping to start really incorporating the people, places, things, events, etc. that I come across as I explore Milwaukee and settle in to my new home (settling in is always a process!).

To start off, I thought I would tell you about a great spot in the Riverwest neighborhood that I was at last night: The Foundation bar. This place is like your own tropical getaway, smack-dab in the Midwest! You walk into a Polynesian-themed room, traditional art, palm trees, and of course puffer-fish lights (see below!).



They have a great drink menu, full of tropical choices like the Jamaican Sour, Little Grass Shack, or the Tahitian Sling...the list goes on. With so many options, sometimes I have a hard time picking out what I want, so I decided to go with what is apparently "Milwaukee's best Mai Tai!" Now, I haven't really had many Mai Tai's before, in fact probably never, but I have to say that this was one delicious drink! According to their menu, they serve the traditional 1944 Trader Vic's recipe for their Mai Tai, but you can also have a slightly sweeter version of the drink, called a Hawaiian Mai Tai. Either way, you can't go wrong! If you ever make it to the Foundation, I would also highly recommend the Cuba Viva which made with cardamom rum, cola, and lime...I had a sip of my friend's and it was really great-almost tasting like chai because of the cardamom.


So next time you find yourself in Milwaukee and want a lil taste of the tropics, you definitely need to hit up the Foundation! In the mean time, feel free to whip up your own Mai Tai for a some happy hour action tonight :)

The Original 1944 Trader Vic recipe

2 ounces of 17-year old J. Wray & Nephew Rum over shaved ice.
Add juice from one fresh lime.
1/2 ounce Holland DeKuyper Orange Curacao.
1/4 ounce Trader Vic's Rock Candy Syrup.
1/2 ounce French Garier Orgeat Syrup
-Shake vigorously.
-Add a sprig of fresh mint

No comments:

Post a Comment