Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Surprises are the best!

I love when I have the chance to surprise friends or family...especially my parents! Ry and I had an opportunity for an impromptu trip to Milwaukee on Sunday and it had "surprise" written all over it for my mom. I hadn't been able to spend a lot of time with her on my last visits home, so I was looking forward to putting in some quality time! We stopped by a new winery near my parent's house called the Chiselled Grape and we were both really impressed with their wine selection! We went with the "Little Red Dress" for my mom; a nice blend of Sangiovese, classic Bordeaux, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Cabernet Franc. Their Barbera was also really phenomenal! 
Even though drive was not so fun, as it always is, but walking in unexpected to my parent's house was awesome! We had some delicious jalapeno gin martinis, a new creation of my dad's 

We also had some great homemade bruschetta and I was really happy to see my mom bust out the pasta maker to whip up some homemade pasta to go with some delicious grilled pork...there's really no going back from fresh pasta! We finished off dinner with some classic strawberry short cake...deelish! 

I really love spending time with my family...there are always great debates, stories, laughing...always makes me grateful for them when I get to see everyone. What are some of your favorite things to do with your family?

In other news, the Homegrown Music Festival is in full swing here in Duluth! Last night I checked out The Boomchucks and Big Wave Dave and the Ripples...so much fun and pretty great people watching. Tonight is the big Trampled by Turtles show-we'll see if we can get in, but I am also hoping to see Sarah Krueger too (you can download her new CD this week for $5-do it!) 
Gotta love live and local music! 

xo, Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment